/> Clean Convenient Cuisine: Grocery Shopping 101

Clean Convenient Cuisine

Reset your tastebuds!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Grocery Shopping 101



















We all dread that moment when you open the fridge and see just a few straggly items remaining. You sigh and realize it's that time again: a grocery store run. 

This seemingly unending chore comes ever week, or perhaps even every few days, or if you eat out all the time, maybe never. But, it can be an easy, dare I even say enjoyable, experience if you know how to shop, when to shop and what to look for. Perhaps I am one of the few who enjoys gathering my bags and empty water bottles to head to Whole Foods on a Sunday morning, way before the city has yet stirred. I have my routine and can get a week's worth of shopping done in 15 minutes, and that's while drinking coffee. And of course, strolling through the aisles with my wonderful man. 

Here are some helpful tips:

1. Shop at off times. According to research, Wednesday morning is the best time to shop. However, peruse your market and find out when they get their shipments of produce in and when the crowds are the least annoying. For instance, Saturday at lunchtime is probably not a great idea. 

2. Always have a list. Better yet, make a weekly menu. Figure out your dinners, at least, so you know what staples to buy. It doesn't have to be a complicated meal to be good. The fewer the ingredients, the better. For example, if you decide on chicken and veggies for dinner, purchase a rotisserie chicken, remove the skin and steam some veggies. Use the chicken the next day for lunch to throw on a salad.

3. Stick to the perimeter of the store. You've heard it before, but everything good for you is usually on the outer edges of the store. Stock up on produce, veggies, meats and dairy and then dip into the aisles for other staples, such as oatmeal and brown rice.

4. Make shopping enjoyable. Grab a coffee and stroll through the aisles. Bring a shopping partner. Make it a weekly lunch date, where you eat and then shop (another helpful tip: Never go to the store hungry!!). I go to Whole Foods because yes, it's better quality, but I find it clean and exquisite. I actually enjoy perusing the store, looking at the mounds of fresh produce. I also find the staff knowledgeable and helpful if I ever have a question.

5. Know when to spend and when to save. I've done a lot of comparative shopping, and I actually do the best at Whole Foods. I will spend the extra cash on organic meats and produce and then save on other items, such as brown rice, oats and eggs. Make a budget and try and stick to it. Remember, you are spending for your health. While it's unfortunate that "healthy" food costs more, that's just the backwards world we live in. 

Got questions?? Send them our way!! 

1 comment:

  1. This is so helpful! I went today, and it wasn't bad at all. Having a list a menu and coffee worked wonders. thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete